Monday, July 15, 2013

The biggest PR I haven't achieved yet

Actually has nothing to do with powerlifting, it's the blessedly simple and infuriatingly impossible body weight pull-up (though I'll settle for a chin-up to start.) It's a goal I've wanted since I started training with Chris 20 months ago and though I've made some significant progress towards it, it's still definitely in the long-term goal category (more then 3 months out.)

I can pull more of my own weight than I used to be able to, but I'm still using a pretty industrial-size band to help with my neutral grip chin-ups, and only repping out 2-4 at a time. I know my pterodactyl-arms don't help my leverages and that pull-ups can be challenging for women in general, but these explanations do not do much to quell my simmering resentment at my own inability to just pull my own body up to a bar. It seems so simple, yet so far it has not been. The struggle continues.

Training today:
Warm-up: Landmine presses and band pull-aparts.
Bench: 6 sets of bench working up to 120#x4. 2 sets of low-weights to failure (65#x22 and 75#x15, I need to up my low-weights just a bit as 22 reps feels like cardio and also is probably setting me up for an overuse injury in my rotator cuff.) All super-setted with seated pulley rows.
Accessory: Triceps work and band pull-ups.

No comments:

Post a Comment