Monday, July 29, 2013

Deload Week Again

It's deload week! Considering I slept in recovery compression gear Sunday night because I still felt sore from lifting on Saturday, it's probably a good thing it's here. I deload my lifting every 4th week with the 5-3-1 plan, meaning that I don't go above 65-75% of my 1 rep max for my main lifts (bench, squat, dead, overhead press/split-jerk) and I drop my accessory exercise weights by 20%.

When deload week rolls around, I am often tempted to skip it, or to not really do a full deload because it always seems like maybe I can just push through and keep adding weight/progressing without the deload. This is, of course, dumb. And also reason number one-million-and-sixty-three that I am happy that Chris writes my programming instead of me, because I would probably have myself deadlifting 3 days a week and deloading every three months for about two days. It would be terrible.

So, as usual on deload week, even though the weights were lighter, they still felt pretty heavy because, as usual on deload week, I am a bit tired and beat up from three weeks of heavy training, even if I don't want to admit it to myself. But it was a good day all in all. I couldn't row on the erg again because my knee is still acting up, so I finished with 100 kettlebell swings with a 16kg bell. It did the trick.

Training:
Warmup: Is, Ts, Ys
Split Jerk: 6 easy sets working up to 72#x5, supersetted with inverted rows
Accessory work: bench pressing and single-arm rows, floor pressing and mid-back work
Finisher: Kettlebell fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment